Thursday, April 9, 2009

Why is it that siblings are so unhelpful?

I bet we have all heard our parents complain about how hard it is to get children to work, right? I TOLD Duncan at least a BAZILLION times to clean that table and he still hasn't moved. Well, they have no idea how hard it is to motivate siblings.

For Example:
I recently told Luke and Connor that they could play on my computer all they wanted in exchange for helping me clean dinner. Andrew and David got pretty steamed that I was "manipulating my brothers." So what did they do? Well, Andrew just whined. He's harmless. David let Connor and Luke play on his computer all they wanted for free.

I bet you're thinking: Well that proves that he loves his brothers and doesn't want them to be taken advantage of, right? Listen, if someone truly wanted to be selfless, they wouldn't take away workers from their bosses for the sake of the workers, they would take the place of the workers for the sake of both the bosses and the workers. Think Jesus.


The reason I bring this up is because yesterday I asked my siblings a thousand times to help me find "Our Town." To her credit, Grace helped. In the end, I gave up on my siblings and had Dad drive me back and forth between the library TWICE. (The first time was a failure because no one would help me find a working library card. I had to go back to get a Photo ID to renew a library card.)

In the end, guess where it was hidden. You guessed it, on a bookshelf. On Lexie's bookshelf to be exact. This morning when she was gathering her books for school she found it and handed it to me. She said she thought I had already looked there. (I had but I had only done a cursory scan.) In short, if Lexie had just looked a little bit when I asked her to help me search, I could have saved mountains of time.

Remember parents, when you get tired of children doing nothing to help you, you just threaten corporal punishment. Siblings also threaten corporal punishment but it only motivates the siblings to move closer to parents. You think you have it hard, try being a sibling.

3 comments:

  1. "Manipulating your brothers." Hah, that is not manipulation, it's a deal. Like bargaining, "I'll do this if you'll do that." Every sibling bargains, and I bet that even includes Andrew and David.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew? Are you still alive?

    ReplyDelete