Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Glory to the Information Age

Recently I was chatting with a friend (Ariel) using gmail. My mother walked in, stared at my screen for a while, and then asked "Why don't you just use the phone?"

Well, after the telephone was invented people didn't correspond by telegraph did they? I think not. When something bigger and badder is invented, hip youngsters, like me, naturally move on.

To be fair to my mother, I will probably someday ask my child why he doesn't just use online chat when he wants to talk. I will have degenerated that far. Age is a scary thing.

3 comments:

  1. As you can see from Luke's above comment, he is not big on technological advancements. He didn't want to get an email adress until he absolutely had to for college purposes. (Mom got tired of receiving all his college emails.) Hence the "whatever."

    Age is scary. Like when Mom was printing digital Christmas pictures at the store for the first time. I went with her, but she wanted to do it on her own. Somewhere along the line, she hit a button that shut off/crashed the computer. Then the person behind the photo counter came to take a look, glanced at the computer, and shouted, "What'd you do?!!" Yup. Scary age.

    ReplyDelete