Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Heather's Petty Hatred of Super Program

Today I made sure to ask whether I would be allowed to use Super Program during fencing today. Heather said she needed to look at it first. Of course, she has already looked at it but she said she hadn't given it the thumbs-up.

O.K. Whatever. So I showed it to her. She glared at the screen for a while and then asked: "So in effect people are climbing higher on the backs of others?" (Exact quote.) I actually prefer to think of it in a more positive way. I told her it wasn't like that at all and that she was just trying to put a negative spin on it.

The next exchange was really weird and stupid so I'll put in a script-type format for full effect:
Heather: Well you know the people look kind of... you know...
Duncan: Hmm. Should I put in a person's crest instead of a representation?
Heather: Ah! I would totally let you use Super Program if you did that!

...

I worked really hard on those pin people. Maybe I'm just not an artist...

Heather then suggested that it look more medieval. If that's all it takes to make her happy, then fine. Although it will mean a lot of work for me. If anyone has any suggestions on how to make Super Program medieval, let me know.

3 comments:

  1. If Heather looks at it that way, why doesn't she realize that the entire ranking system is mostly the good fencers climbing on the backs of the bad ones. The plus is that it should encourage the bad ones to do better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps you could have each fencer design their own personal coat of arms and replace their representations with their coats of arms. On the down side, that could be confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh. I hope you don't go with Luke's aforementioned idea. I don't want to take the time to draw a coat of arms!

    Actually, you know what, that sounds fine. I'll just draw a quick and boring smiley face for my coat of arms.

    By the way, I liked your pin people for Super Program; they were great! Too bad Heather wants them discarded.

    Hey, maybe you could just draw smiley-face variants for everybody, that'd take less time than some whole new "medieval crest" thing. Plus, smiley faces are medieval--people had faces back then, and I bet they smiled on occasion too.

    ReplyDelete