Sunday, August 23, 2009

Angel Food Ministries

Just in case any of you ever feel like helping with this ministry or something, I'm going to break down my actions between the time I woke up and the time I got home.

5:00: Alarm rings, I hit the off button and sit up. If I hadn't sat up I would have gone back to sleep.
5:01: Cold shower causes my eyes to pop out of their head. At least I'm awake now.
5:20: Dad wakes up in order to wake me up. I'm already awake so he goes back to sleep.
5:30: I begin waiting outside to be picked up by our neighbor (Mr. H.) with the trailer that will be transporting the food from site A (Brainerd, really near the K___'s house.) to site B (Our church)
5:35: He arrives and apologizes. He went back to sleep after hitting the snooze button.
5:36: Mr. H buys me a bacon biscuit for breakfast. He eats his sausage biscuit while driving.
5:40: We pass the sign that says "Let's have Ice Cream after you paralyze us. (Is your friend driving recklessly? Go to www.speakuporelse.com)"
6:00: We arrive at the church where the Sunoco truck carrying the food from AFM is. No one else is there except the truck driver who is asleep.
6:05: Everyone else shows up.
6:05-7:00: We take food out of the Sunoco truck and put it into Mr. H's trailer. All the other churches take their food and put it into their trailers as well. I was given the job of carrying boxes of food from the front of the truck to the back of the truck for distribution.
7:00: We drive down Brainerd, through the McCallie tunnels, and past UTC in five minutes. Having no traffic really makes a big deal.
7:10: We arrive at our church and begin unloading Mr. H's trailer.
7:30: I ask Mr. E (other neighbor) if I can have a ride home with him later so I can stay and help distribute. Consent is given. I inform Mr. H that his services are no longer required.
7:30-9:00: I eat sausage biscuits and stare at a wall, listening to all the deacons who were helping talk about the meeting the night before that my parents were supposed to attend. They didn't miss much.
9:00: People begin arriving with empty boxes. Weeks before they had put in an order to AFM through our church. Now they come to collect all the food they'll need for the next month at a low low price. Smile. You're saving even more. I'm in charge of dropping three packages of different meats into each box as it passes me.
9:30: We pack up. I go home with Mr. E.

Typically chores at our house run from 8:00-9:00. Therefore if I had left after my job was done I would have gotten home as everyone started. Instead I got home well after they were finished.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, see, Saturday chores in our house range from 8:30 (or 9ish) until about noon. And then we all usually have to practice piano (or violin in my case) in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete