Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Teratomas

In one week I'm supposed to have fifteen sources on a topic that I haven't picked yet. Recently I selected teratomas as my subject so today I began searching in earnest for sources. Oh yeah, these can't be any sources, they have to be "pioneering" sources. Each source has to show a different milestone for whatever my topic is. OK. Whatever, I shrugged. I typed in "first teratoma" in google search. There was nothing about the first teratoma. I have a bunch of new milestones: First cystic teratoma, first teratoma in males, first teratoma in muscle, teratoma riding his first bike (kidding, kidding), etc. No first teratoma.

After refining my searches a bazillion times, I discovered the name of the person to detail the first teratoma. The problem was that nobody had any idea how to spell it. Johannes Scholz, Johan Scultata, Johans Schultz, etc. It made searching for him very difficult. I also discovered the name of his book: Armamentarium chirurgicum. There are two problems: The book was originally in German, and there is no place online to find free information about it. The original source would be ideal but, since it is a book, it costs money and that is a pain. Also I'm still not 100% sure whether "Armamentarium chirurgicum" is the book that contains information on the first teratoma or whether J.S. wrote a book about some stuff and then published a lab report about a teratoma he found later. O me miserum!!

1 comment: