Friday, April 9, 2010

Genetics Test

Oh yeah, yesterday I had a painful test. I think I got every question right, which helps deaden the pain slightly. There were two T/F questions that made no sense to me, but I asked Sam what she guessed on the questions and I said the same thing as she did so I think I got them right. Also, question C on the last question, the 5 point bonus question made no sense at all to me. Sam agreed. She had no idea as well. The question had three bacteria, Alpha, Beta, and Gamma. Alpha used DNA and conservative replication. Beta used RNA and disruptive replication. Gamma used RNA and semiconservative replication. The question asked which one of these could survive high temperatures. 0_0 Oh my goodness. My face is totally blank. What does the manner of replication and the materials that the bacteria is constructed out of have to do with survival at high temperatures? I guessed that DNA was more stable and therefore less likely to degrade. Sam guessed the same thing. Therefore, either we will be right or the teacher will look at both our papers and wonder how we invented identical nonsense. Please oh please be right...

3 comments:

  1. So, who is this "Sam" character?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The setup for the final question sounds like the setup for a joke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So the conservative replicating bacteria asks "Which one of us would survive heat over 160 degrees?" and the blonde bacteria says "Well there's only one way to find out!" and jumps in!

    ReplyDelete