Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Strength

Alright, confession time. I'm no good at fencing. My form is awful, my point control is garbage, my footwork is sloppy, I'm not really fast, my power is low, though I am agressive (which isn't really a strength in all honesty), my reflexes are pretty poor, my disengages are too wide, my feints are too obvious, I never fully extend my arm, not to mention how often I pull it back, my back foot always comes up when I lunge, my hand still instinctively covers target area, otherwise I let it hang by my side like a dead animal, I hunch over while I fence, I lean in to my attacks making me totally vulnerable, but not quite as vulnerable I am when I jump, which I do with lots of regularity because I am stupid, I lose my balance when I attack and just barely manage to catch myself, I lose focus as the duel progresses, I am neither gifted nor hard-working, I don't exercise or practice often, in total I only fence an average of two hours a week.

I do have one strength however! Winning. For some inexplicable reason I win a lot. I think the reason is because I don't do what people expect me to do (which pretty much sums up my life.) In short, I don't do the right thing, therefore I win. It's a pretty sweet deal. In actuality, when the rubber hits the road, I don't really care whether I'm a good fencer or not. I only re-started fencing so I could see my friends often and I don't really have any desire to excel competitively. It would eat up my time, my life, and my money, all of which I value more than excelling in competitive fencing. As long as I have enough skill to enjoy it, I'm content.

4 comments:

  1. Hmm...funny, the only reason I ever started fencing at all was to see my friends. And I'm definitely no good at it, which doesn't bother me because I don't really care. However, my strength with fencing is losing :)

    You know, actually, the way you fence reminds me a lot of the way Baylor fences (i.e. sloppy footwork, hanging hand, generally incorrect form, and yet still winning everything.) So there's nothing wrong with the way you fence after all, that is if you judge by the way the school who wins every fencing competition in town fences...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have good strategy when you fence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's exactly the way Jacob plays chess. He makes the most unusual moves--and either he wins very handily or he loses quickly.

    ReplyDelete