Saturday, November 14, 2009

SOB

When helping my dad read x-rays, I get to see all sorts of moronic idiosyncracies. One of which is shortening everything AMAP (As much as possible, LOL.) For example, if you wanted to say "no acute changes" you would say "rho acute delta." (By rho and delta I mean the Greek symbols, not the actual words.)

Anyway, we came upon one X-ray today and in the "Chief Complaint's:" section it read "SOB." I instantly wondered to myself whether this guy was a SOB or he knew a SOB. Either way, it wasn't a chest x-ray he was needing. So, being the immature guy that I am, I pointed it out and laughed. Dad ignored me for a while and then said "It stands for Shortness of Breath." These people need to find acronyms that don't already have meanings.

4 comments:

  1. The greek letters make sense. I mean, those are standard abbreviations--we use lots of greek letters in math class (like delta and lambda). But SOB?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not just limited to medicine. A degree in science is a BS, Bachelor of Science. And we all know about BS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can get a Bachelor of Science in a plethora of disciplines other than science! It's not like you have to be majoring in Biology or Chemistry to have a Bachelor of Science. I mean, I'm going for a BS in Applied Mathematics: Actuarial Science, and that's not science-related in the least!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha. I wouldn't trust any doctor with a degree in BS!

    ReplyDelete