Saturday, October 10, 2009

Subjective Truth vs. Subjective Value

Recently our Economics Professor, Dr. Giffin was talking about why demand curves are always negative and in so doing explained utilitarian philosophy of "utils." Utils are units of happiness caused by something. For example a coke might give me five utils and wrapping my brother in a blanket and dangling him over a chin-up bar might give me 100 utils. However, he said something very interesting: That truth was subjective because people derive different amounts of utils from different activities. Of course, this statement is not true at all. I was just thinking about it this morning in this light:

Yesterday Mom said it would be OK if I went on to Netflix and streamed shows that I wanted to see. Naturally I took advantage of this generous offer and began streaming a show. The show was "Heroes." While taking a break so that someone else could use the computer (The computer is very highly demanded which is why I'm not using it now.) I ate some snack with Alexie. Alexie asked me why I was watching "Heroes" because according to all her research the show was lame and not worth watching. So is "Heroes" lame or not lame? Subjective truth!? No! It is objectively true that Alexie derives -100 utils from watching this show but it is equally true that I derive +100 utils from watching this show. My enjoyment of a show is not subjective. It won't change even if my sister can't believe it. Pleasure is just as objective as all other truths. The only thing that is subjective is the value that people place on objects, not the truth about the object or the truth about the values.

2 comments:

  1. Dr. Giffin didn't say that truth was subjective. He simply said that economically there are no "wrong" purchases; that merely by buying something you declare that it gives you more utils per dollar than anything else you could buy.

    So, he said that preferences and "utils of pleasure" are subjective, but I don't recall him saying that truth was subjective. Of course, there's always the possibility that I wasn't paying attention at the time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duncan, the fact that you and Lexie derive differing amounts of pleasure from "Heroes" means that it is subjective. By the way, it is lame.

    ReplyDelete