Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The true answer is elusive yet.

Last night, I think I figured out what to call Douglas: Heather's One True Love.

This annoying dilemma stems from the fact that Heather flat refuses to let us use the word boyfriend. When I find my soulmate, I'm going to call them my 'girlfriend' even if we're courting. So there.

No other word even closely describes the relationship. "Friend," "Acquaintance," and "Penpal" are all too informal and non-specific. "Fiancee" and "Future Husband" are too forward. "The person that Heather is currently in a relationship with" is currently what we call him although it is far too wordy for my tastes. (Not only that but it ends with a preposition which is always wrong.)

Now I know you are all thinking "One True Love" sounds really corny and stupid, but hey, Heather is a corny and stupid person, right? (Kidding, kidding.) I stumbled upon it after undergoing this train of thought: "Main guy?" No, too mafia and implies that there are multiple when in reality the opposite is true. "Monogamous partner?" No, too scientific. Ah. "One True Love." Perfect.

Of course, five seconds ago I used the word "soulmate." Maybe we can go with that one instead. That one's pretty awesome. I think I'll make a poll.

4 comments:

  1. Ha! Seriously? Heather makes you call Douglas "The person that Heather is currently in a relationship with"? That sounds like she's trying too hard not to say "boyfriend." It draws more attention to it than the word "boyfriend" does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I think "monogamous partner" has some interesting connotations that you probably don't mean to construe about Heather. Perhaps you should remove that reference before Heather reads your blog and kills you. Although, I don't suppose you could change it after Heather kills you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If Douglas saw this post he probably would slice your head off with his claymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Luke.

    ReplyDelete