Monday, June 7, 2010

Math Review

Woo hoo! First day at my new job! Hop all around! Hooray! I'm going back tomorrow at 8:00 as well. Goody.

Today we did math review. It was amazing how many people could not convert units. It was stunning. You would think a question that said: "A car travels 10 miles. The car travels 5 miles per gallon. How many gallons does it use?" Would be pretty easy. Alas, no. I had to set up question 7 about lightning strikes for just about every team in the room. If you hear the thunder in 3.5 seconds and sound travels at 1074 feet per second, how many miles away is the lightning strike? No one could grasp that the speed was just another conversion factor. They all went nuts.

Oh yeah, there was one girl who asked me how many inches was in a foot. I responded: "Well, the question assumes that you know that there are 12 inches in a foot." I wonder if she was foreign... but if that were the case she wouldn't have had so much trouble converting centimeters to meters...

1 comment:

  1. I hope they learn how to set problems up soon. I don't want to have to explain this when we're half-way through the semester.

    ReplyDelete